Donna J. Brown
About Donna J. Brown
Donna is one of New Hampshire’s most experienced and respected trial attorneys. In her 29 years of practice she has been lead counsel in some of the most high profile cases in this state. She has tried over 150 jury trials including charges of homicide, aggravated felonious sexual assault, felony assault, domestic violence, DWI, theft, sale and possession of drugs as well as numerous motor vehicle cases. Donna has obtained verdicts of not guilty in numerous cases including affirmative defense cases such as self-defense, consent and entrapment. She has also done extensive litigation regarding racial profiling and racial disparity. She has appeared in courts all over the state of New Hampshire.
Donna is also an adjunct professor at University of New Hampshire School of Law where she teaches trial advocacy to students selected to be in the Daniel Webster Scholar Program.
Donna has been a frequent presenter at legal training programs including presentations on the voluntariness of confessions, false confessions, jury selection, cross-examination of expert witnesses, racial profiling, defending domestic violence cases and sentencing strategies.
In 2005, Donna was selected to receive the Champion of Justice Award from the New Hampshire Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
- New Hampshire, 1986
- U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire, 1986
J.D., University of New Hampshire School of Law
B.A., Political Science, Rhode Island College
Memberships and Affiliations
- New Hampshire Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1998-present
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 1988-present
- New Hampshire Women’s Bar Association, 2015-present
- Manchester Bar Association, 2015-present
- Member, Board of Directors, NH National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year Criminal Defense: White-Collar- Manchester, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America, 2019-20
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year- Criminal Defense: General Practice- Manchester, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year- Criminal Defense: White Collar- Manchester, 2021
- Champion of Justice Award. New Hampshire Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers awards the Champion of Justice each year to honor NHACDL members who have demonstrated achievement in the practice of criminal defense and have provided outstanding service to the organization and/or community.
- Battle of the Lawyers. Donna was chosen to participate in this charity event to benefit New Hampshire Pro Bono Referral Service.
Media & Publications
- Judges and Lawyers Can Work together to Address Implicit Bias
- The Anatomy of ‘Making a Murderer’: DNA testing hasn’t put an end to wrongful convictions
- The Anatomy of ‘Making a Murderer’: Media changes the game in high-profile cases
- The Anatomy of ‘Making a Murderer’: Netflix documentary tells a frightening story about the American criminal justice system